TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna from flying

Alaska State Rep. Sharon Cissna of Anchorage was returning from Seattle when the TSA insisted on an intrusive hand exam at SEA-TAC Airport. Below is her statement:

PRINCE RUPERT, BC (February 21, 2011).  The following is Rep. Sharon Cissna’s account of the events of February 20th, 2011 at  SEA-TAC International Airport:

“The evening of the 20th of February 2011 started with relief, as I was anxious to get back to the important work of the Alaskan Legislature.  Heading into security after time with the line of passengers, I felt upbeat.  I’d blocked out the horror of three months earlier, but after the pleasant TSA agent checked the ticket and ID, I suddenly found myself directed into scanning by the Seattle Airport’s full-body imaging scan.  The horror began again.  A female agent placed herself blocking my passage.  Scan results would again display that my breast cancer and the resulting scars pointed a TSA finger of irregularity at my chest.  I would require invasive, probing hands of a stranger over my body. Memories of violation would consume my thoughts again.”

“Being a public servant and elected representative momentarily disappeared. Facing the agent I began to remember what my husband and I’d decided after the previous intensive physical search.  That I never had to submit to that horror again!  It would be difficult, we agreed, but I had the choice to say no, this twisted policy did not have to be the price of flying to Juneau!”

“So last night, as more and more TSA, airline, airport and police gathered, I became stronger in remembering to fight the submission to a physical hand exam. I repeatedly said that I would not allow the feeling-up and I would not use the transportation mode that required it.”

“For nearly fifty years I’ve fought for the rights of assault victims, population in which my wonderful Alaska sadly ranks number one, both for men and women who have been abused.  The very last thing an assault victim or molested person can deal with is yet more trauma and the groping of strangers, the hands of government ‘safety’ policy.”

“For these people, as well as myself, I refused to submit.”

“The trip to Juneau is one of adventure in working to restore dignity to government policies designed to build the well-being of our people. All of them. The trip to the Capitol has been by car, small plane and the Alaska Marine Highway.  It feels like a trip of pride as well.”

“The TSA threat of “Do you want to fly?” means something very different to Alaskans. Flying in Alaska is not a choice, but a necessity.  The freedom to travel should never come at the price of basic human dignity and pride.”

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedin

, , , , , , , , ,

211 Responses to “TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna from flying”

1. George
    February 22, 2011 at 11:50 am #

You are free not to fly. Stay out of the security lines and find another way to travel.
    Claiming a search before flying is tantamount to being abused denigrates those who truly suffer abuse.
    Grow up, quit crying, and keep your whining to yourself.

2. Sugarbears rule the sky
    February 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

I lived in Alaska so when I ask you guys if this is really the image you want to paint of the State, I ask with sincerity. This sounds like really poor judgment and to me, not a very good way to get things done. Strange that this would need said to a politician.

3. Patricia
    February 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

I was a rape victim in my youth and have agonized over how I will be able to handle the invasive pat down. As many who have suffered trauma can tell you, your fearful reaction to something comes from a completely sub-conscious place. I refuse to subject myself to the back scatter x-rays. Perhaps that means I won’t travel. We are no longer free. As Patrick Henry said, “Give me liberty or give me death.” I would rather take my chances without the invasive X-rays or pat-downs. The way we have overreacted, the terrorists have won……death by a thousand papercuts. I applaud Rep. Cissna.

4. Marilyn Katz
    February 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

From both knees to the top of my hips I am mostly metal. If you want an easy trip through an airport this is what to do.

(1) Go to a drugstore and buy a cane, a four tipped, not a single tip cane. They cost $30 to $40.
    (2) When you have to fly, just call and arrange a wheelchair.

You need no proof that you are disabled. You will be met at the curb with a wheelchair and wheeled to a seperate metal detector. They will ask you to walk through. Stagger around. They will note that you cannot walk through the metal detector. So they will wheel you around it and do the patdown with you sitting in the wheelchair.

The area between your legs will be protected from any invasion. Mostly they are very superficial and leave your breasts alone.

They are torn between desire to feel up passengers and fear of discrimination lawsuits.

If yo really want to do something, file a sexual assault report with your local police. Be sure and take down the name of the person who pawed you. Others standing around will be co conspirators or accessories and aiders and abetters.
    In all the states, touching hips, buttocks, breasts and between the legs is considered some kind of assault. Nothing will be done of course. But they will be hassled a bit by the police.

5. John Spiers
    February 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

We are free to travel, free to fly, free to contract with private carriers. We are supposed to be free from unreasonable government search and seizure. TSA is pure theatre, all security should be where it belongs, a given airline’s problem, not the taxpayers. This is unreasonable search and seizure. The TSA workers have the power to search and abuse, but not the right to do so. The TSA must be entirely eliminated.

6. FromIllinois
    February 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

Way to go!! I’m very proud of you.

7. D Andrews
    February 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

To whoever wrote: “Then get out and support high speed rail…”

Umm, you couldn’t build high speed rail in Alaska, and if you are talking in general, it won’t be long until the pat-downs will be required to travel by train. Spain’s 9/11 took place in the subway, not at an airport or on an airline. Think a littler harder before you speak…

8. Truthteller
    February 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

WELL SAID!! This invasive and unconsitutional groping has to stop. The body scanners are a money maker for the former government official who owns the company making them. This is about politics and financial greed, not about security. All at the expense of our rights and our consitution. The corruption must stop!

9. Ed
    February 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

Welcome to the beginning of the New World Order! The World Governance that the media refuse to admit exists, even though their chief Globalist Proponents make mention of it regularly. What a joke DO NOT believe the media (Conservative or Liberal) They are both lying to you. Wake up! Watch “Fall of the Republic” on you tube and wake up! Before it is too late for you.

10. Hidingandwatching
    February 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Yeah, Lex, let’s build that high speed rail from Seattle to Juneau.

11. Miguel
    February 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

I’m glad this representative stepped up and refused. The airlines are going to lose plenty of customers as more Americans grow a pair and refuse to be groped by government union-like thugs, et al.

More money can be made in alternative travel modes. We can change this travesty by voting in real Americans instead of so many slavish wimps of my former party, the Democrats.

12. Fanny Forbes Franklen
    February 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

“To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enrolled, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished.”
    — Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

13. Fanny Forbes Franklen
    February 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

— Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

14. Paul Meers
    February 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

I won’t fly anymore – no trains, busses, public buildings. I won’t stop at checkpoints, just back up and go home. I’ll stop driving and if they want me, I’ll die first. Eat yourselves – public pigs!!

15. IndependentlyProud
    February 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

to John Spiers:

Unfortunately the idea of “security is a given airline’s problem” changed when airplanes from two major carriers killed 3000 people (the majority of which weren’t customers of either of those airlines. The TSA was actually created in part, as a service TO the airline industry who was given the choice between implementing their own security or letting the government do it. They chose the TSA rather than hiring private secuirty firms to meet the same requirements. We can blame the airlines just as much as we can blame the government here – they wanted to save a buck and have still managed to roll more charges to us. Simultaneously, the TSA is filled with incompetent jack-offs b/c they are paid roughly what a local mall cop makes, yet we expect them to keep highly trained terrorists off our planes. That makes total sense.

Again, I’ll pose this question to everyone, where was the uproar when the NSA under Bush/Cheney WIRETAPPED OUR PHONES w/o so much as telling us? At least with a plane, we have a choice to get on or not. Remember when our library records could be seized or monitored under the Patriot Act? Oh, wait, they still can.

You lost civil liberties, freedom and privacy a long time ago. Wake up.

16. Brad
    February 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Good job Representative! Way to not allow the TSA to abuse you person. The TSA is only to give an illusion of safety, and to scare people into giving up liberties. I’m sure the scanners are only being used because the manufacturer of the device or a company board member is a large donor to the Obama administration. They still haven’t released data divulging the amount of radiation people are exposed to who are processed in these death machines, are they trying to sterilize frequent fliers? I haven’t flown commercially since the new molesting and/or radiation techniques began.

17. T.Paine
    February 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

…and yet, mooslims are not to be searched. Good on ya’ Rep.Cissna !

18. IndependentlyProud
    February 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

One last point, the machines (results of which are posted above) were the direct result of lobbying and decision making/approval of one Secretary Michael Chertoff, former Secretary of Homeland Security under George W. Bush. The machines and their implementation was in place long before the current secretary was placed in her job. She could have stopped their implementation, but, oddly, Mr. Chertoff joined the firm that built these machines after he retired from DHS and most likely rec’d a sweet compensation package for making sure they were implemented and used — all at your expense.

Wake up, this isn’t about Obama or Bush, Republican or Democrat, it is about haves and have nots and most of us, my friends, are the have nots.

19. Scott
    February 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

My beautiful wife is a breast cancer survivor, complete with a masectomy. We will NEVER fly again due to the intrusive scans and probes instigated by these “agents” promoting “national security”. They can all kiss my ass as well as my wife’s recently removed breast. She will not go through the humiliation and embarrasment of some thug feeling her up to make sure she is safe to fly while the TSA cannot completely ensure us that everyone on that flight is not on some “do not fly” list after the plane is already in the air. The rest of the country, in the aspect of tourism, will have to suffer from this overkill at the airport. We will drive instead, and continue to check out the beautiful northeastern United States. No pat-downs, no body-scans, no invastion. Kiss my ass, TSA!!

20. sKIPTOMALOU
    February 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

It’s ok for the surfs have to be subjected to this but it’s front page news when it happens to one of the people who made the law. Oh the humanity all of a sudden. I think the gestapo ought to grope these people each time they go to work for what they’ve done to America.

21. Amie
    February 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Thank you for bringing this issue into the media. Thankfully I have not been requested to submit to the hands-on screening, but having been sexually abused and raped in the past, I do not think I could handle a stranger putting their hands on my breasts or genitals. It is incomprehensible to me that this type of invasion of privacy – and lets call it what it actually is: assault – has somehow made it to being a lawful act in our great country.

22. M.L. Browne
    February 22, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Good for Rep. Cissna — I wish ALL the elected officials of this country had her courage and integrity. I particularly like her closing statement, which absolutely has the ring of truth to it… and it’s not true only for Alaskans, but for all U.S. citizens.

“The TSA threat of “Do you want to fly?” means something very different to Alaskans. Flying in Alaska is not a choice, but a necessity. The freedom to travel should never come at the price of basic human dignity and pride.” Rep. Sharon Cissna

23. Isabella Grant
    February 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

It was very brave for her to stand up for her rights! So many people do what is easy not right. Thank you for speaking out for victims of assault and abuse as well.

There are people standing up to these useless invasive security procedures. Mica-R of Florida was quoted by CNN as stating the AIT/putdowns are useless and wasteful based on GAO and classified information. Chaffetz plans on challenging the usefulness and getting answers on the money trail. Austin is fighting and so is NJ. It’s not a choice between humiliation and dying. The new AIT missed a handgun several times on undefined checks. A metal detector would have caught it each time?!! Here is a petition to stop these measures

I pray my son will grow up in a world without naked pictures and strangers touching him. I saw the boys out post but are there any peaceful parent groups to stop this?

Check out wewontfly.com too

24. Dave Peters
    February 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Hello, Lots of posts are referring to Obamma. I know he should do something about those idiot TSA people. But, this was a BUSH creation. A very Republican venture. Likely as long as some citizens keep saying things like ‘oh well, in the name of safety’. To bad the the TSA procedures are all security theater. ONE IDEA: I ‘think’ (not entirely sure) a charter is not subject to this same nonsense. It might be practical to have charter flights for routes reguraly used. A few airlines got their start that way.

25. Frankly
    February 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

Bravo Rep. Cissna. You have my full support.
    How much longer do we have to submit to TSA’s inept and insulting scrutiny. Their miserable reputation speaks for itself and we could save taxpayers a bundle by getting rid of them.

26. Fisher1949
    February 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Kudos to Representative Cissna for standing her ground and casting light on these insane security policies! It isn’t often that elected officials demonstrate this level of character and conviction.

After visiting the TSA website it is no wonder she refused to comply. They require that screeners see and touch a prosthetic and there is no guarantee that the screener will be of the same gender.

Considering that millions of women have been victims of breast cancer one would hope that the booth peeper would have the common sense, or at least the training, to recognize when a woman has had a mastectomy. Has anyone in TSA ever heard of Breast Cancer Awareness Week? Maybe seen NFL players wearing those pink ribbons for two weeks mid-season? Surely, someone at TSA has seen one of the thousands of ads and PSAs promoting awareness of this disease.

Had she been selected for the metal detector, the “anomaly” wouldn’t have been detected and she would have made her flight as planned. Instead, the scanner revealed her scar and thus warranted further invasion. How sick is this?

Maybe Chertoff’s scanner friends accidentally shipped TSA medical appliance scanners instead of the ones meant to find weapons! Heaven knows, TSA has no problems finding breast prostheses and ostomy bags. Unfortunately can’t seem to find guns and fail miserably in every test that GAO conducts. So far, they have failed in over 70% of the tests. Try staying in school or keeping a job with those numbers

These kinds of incidents are why TSA has become the most reviled agency in US history. The arrogance and indifference to passengers that Napolitano and Pistole routinely display permeates all levels of DHS and TSA and influence screener treatment of travelers.

The fact that TSA refers to passengers as “fares” betrays their view of us as mere objects to be scrutinized and inspected as if we were bags of garbage.

27. Kurt Sperry
    February 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Either you are for the War on Terror or against it. We fight them over there so we won’t need to fight them here. A small price to pay to keep us safe from Islamofascist bombers. If even one life is saved it’s all worthwhile and think of the children and the working families. God bless our uniformed agents who keep us safe and God bless America.

28. bccmee
    February 22, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

*APPLAUSE* Thank you for standing up for what is right! When will this travesty end? We must keep the TSA in the news and fight their illegal policies.

29. Archie1954
    February 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

It seems that the great bulk (no pun intended) of Americans have absolutely no self esteem, no dignity, none at all. They would rather let their privates be hand manipulated by ignorant goons than demand the government stop making enemies all over the world, enemies that will then create terrorist attacks. If the US would simply stop murdering people everywhere they would discover that for every person they didn’t kill, one less terrorist was created.

30. CSAcitizen
    February 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

High Speed rail (Obama’s agenda) will give you the exact same TSA agenda. They are now doing it on school buses and regular buses and all trains – ALL transportation – and it does not have anything to do with ‘safety’ – it’s all about making the people degraded and submissive. All about DC Federal control over every aspect of your life and body.
    IT’s all “conditioning” for the OWG.
    With all the invasive assaults on people, TSA has not found one – NOT ONE – “terrorist” !

31. Eric-Gunther:Oberhauser
    February 23, 2011 at 3:54 am #

From the HOLY Bible: ” You will go into BABYLON and there you will be rescued.” We are there in Babylon and the jew is in charge but the book of OBADIAH is about to be fulfilled on the jews , the anti-Christ.

32. Ken Owens
    February 23, 2011 at 5:06 am #

My hat is off to Rep. Cissna for refusing the TSA assault. I would like to make a recommendation to you. As a legislator you are in a position to lead the charge against this lawless mob of thugs. It would be worth it for all of us if you would research the reasons behind what Homeland Security really is and that will explain what TSA is and why they are doing what they are doing. Believe me, neither exist on behalf of our”security” but on the contrary, exist AS our security. When you finally get to the truth of it, you will understand the critical need to stop this infection before it spreads any further.

33. James
    February 23, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Bravo to Rep. Cissna – thanks for standing up for rationality and dignity!

34. Jerry Day
    February 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

So this is a representative? Where is the commitment to write, introduce and vote for laws that limit the abuse of Federal and TSA agents in sovereign Alaska?

35. Archie1954
    February 23, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

She definitely deserves praise for her stance, however the article is slightly lacking in that it doesn’t relate that her trip so far has been by BC Ferries to Prince Rupert, BC. You see the Alaska Marine Highway doesn’t commence until May 2011. After that she will be able to take a US route all of the way except if the ferry uses the inside passage it will be in Canadian waters for most of the way.

36. Shelley
    February 24, 2011 at 3:57 am #

Thanx for doing that for the rest of us!

37. The_Rev
    February 24, 2011 at 7:10 am #

The simple solution is: break any part of them that touches you.
    They stick their hand in your crotch. . . snap it off. You’ve just been sexually assaulted – defend yourself!
    Eventually, they’ll be unable to find enough Psychopaths willing to molest people that this will all go away.

38. rhayat10
    February 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

Good for her – but it is easy for her to do; her ticket was paid for by taxpayers. What about those of us who must save up, sometimes for months, in order to fly? What options do we have if our destination is too far to drive to?

39. ipierce
    March 4, 2011 at 8:02 am #

I recently flew from Orlando to Seattle with 5 – 8oz. bottles of Ensure. Yes, I had a letter (required by the TSA) from my Doctor stating that it was my only source of nutrition….but, I was never asked to produce it….nor did the TSA agent watching my carry ons go thru the scanner even notice these bottles….40 ounces of unidentified liquid went along with me with no questions.
    On my return flight out of Seattle…all bottles were checked and the letter was read by TSA…there is NO consistency….and no real protection.

40. Viviana
    April 21, 2011 at 10:17 am #

I have two artificial hip replacements and as a busy internationally touring musician I thank you Sharon Cissna for holding your ground. I would gladly serve on any class action suit filed against such invasive fondling masquerading as “security”. I have a card that I carry with my passport and 11 scars that prove I have implants. Why the necessity to feel me up every time I travel?

41. gjshea
    June 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

Dear Representative Cissna,
    Good for you, Applause! I hope more people will open their eyes and see that the TSA is demeaning and humiliating passengers in the name of a FALSE sense of security. Innocent people are being violated. The agency is ineffective and wasting billions of dollars. The dollars should be invested in intelligence. That is what keeps us safe not the goons at the airport.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna from flying | Alaska TravelGram -- Topsy.com - February 21, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Conservative News , Drudge Report, Scott McMurren, Barbara McMahon, SacBlog.com and others. SacBlog.com said: sitfu.com Her statement… http://tinyurl.com/4m88xrv […]

2. TSA: It is all a SHAM! They are grossly incompetent! But they trample your 4th Amendment rights anyway, and provide no real security! « Minority Rights Advocate - February 21, 2011

[…] http://www.alaskatravelgram.com/2011/02/21/tsa-bars-ak-state-rep-sharon-cissna-from-flying/ […]

3. Statement of State Rep. who refused T&A pat down - FlyerTalk Forums - February 21, 2011

[…] […]

4. I Support Sharon Cissna « Aaron Hill’s Notebook - February 21, 2011

[…] spokesman released a formal statement, full of challenges to the stupid system instituted by a bunch of bureaucrats […]

5. Another Strong Alaskan Lady, Standing Up Against the TSA Gropers « OBRL-News Blog - February 22, 2011

6. Her statement… | The Daily Conservative - February 22, 2011

[…] column, 16th story, link) Related stories: Alaskan state rep returning home by sea after refusing T&A […]

7. The failed TSA’s war on Americans continues | What would Ronald Reagan say? - February 22, 2011

[…] Alaskan politician is now having to travel back to her home state by boat because she refused to be groped by TSA agents. On the positive […]

8. TSA vs. Alaska Representative Sharon Cissna | Intolerant Fox - February 22, 2011

[…] Read the whole letter here… […]

9. TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna from flying : Deadline Live With Jack Blood - February 22, 2011

[…] Leave a Comment 21st February 2011 alaskatravelgram.com […]

10. Adventures of the Cryptic Scholar » Blog Archive » And people wonder why I refuse to fly in an airplane any more . . . - February 22, 2011

[…] Edit to include Rep. Sharon Cissna’s account of the events of 20 February 2011. […]

11. Another Strong Alaskan Lady, Standing Up Against the TSA Gropers | Brian Brown's Website - February 22, 2011

[…] http://www.alaskatravelgram.com/2011/02/21/tsa-bars-ak-state-rep-sharon-cissna-from-flying/http://www.alaskatravelgram.com/2011/02/21/tsa-bars-ak-state-rep-sharon-cissna-from-flying/ […]

12. AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna refuses TSA’s total sexual assault; barred from flying | COTO Report - February 22, 2011

[…] AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna refuses TSA’s total sexual assault; barred from flying Posted on February 22, 2011 by coto2admin| Leave a comment By Alaska TravelGram […]

13. 2-5 News catchup « As I See It - February 28, 2011

[…] February 21, 2011 – TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna from flying (Alaska Travel Gram) The following is Rep. Sharon Cissna’s account of the events of February […]

14. Travel Tuesday: Weekly Highlights for 1 Mar 2011 - March 1, 2011

[…] TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna From FlyingHave I mentioned how I detest the TSA?? Ugh. […]

15. News Clips – Topple Corporate Dictators’; “Drug War” Business; Corporatism shuts out the people and opens gov largesse paid for by taxpayers | Brian Brown’s Website - March 4, 2011

[…] http://www.alaskatravelgram.com/2011/02/21/tsa-bars-ak-state-rep-sharon-cissna-from-flying/ TSA Bars AK State Rep. Sharon Cissna from flying […]

16. Mashnews.com.au » A figleaf in the face of TSA instrusion | Jennifer Abel - September 20, 2011

[…] even submitting to a scan is no guarantee you’ll avoid a patdown. In February, Alaska state representative Sharon Cissna was barred from flying for refusing one after the scanner showed her mastectomy scars. Two months later, six-year-old Anna […]

17. A figleaf in the face of TSA instrusion | Jennifer Abel | BDHL.org - September 20, 2011

18. A figleaf in the face of TSA intrusion | Jennifer Abel « Fresh Coffee - September 20, 2011

19. A figleaf in the face of TSA intrusion | dailywebday.com - September 21, 2011

[…] instead.Though even submitting to a scan is no guarantee you’ll avoid a patdown. In February, Alaska state representative Sharon Cissna was barred from flying for refusing one after the scanner showed her mastectomy scars. Two months later, six-year-old Anna […]

20. A figleaf in the face of TSA intrusion | Jennifer Abel | FaceColony.com - September 25, 2011